At Seven Stars Primary school we believe in the importance of a high quality MFL (Modern Foreign Languages) curriculum which will open a door for all pupils into an appreciation and understanding of the many and varied cultures and languages around the world with a specific focus at Key Stage 2 on Spanish.
We want to open a door of opportunity for children to explore and develop communication and understanding within and across cultures. We believe this will help children develop skills that will open further opportunities later in life and will bring an aspiration beyond their local area and bring a richness to, and understanding of, their increasingly diverse local area. We provide a practical, real-life curriculum that has a balance of spoken and written language and lays the foundations for further foreign language teaching at Key Stage 3.
Our intention is for children to:
- Understand and respond to spoken and written language from a variety of sources
- Speak with increasing confidence, fluency and spontaneity, finding ways of communicating what they want to say, including through discussion and asking questions, continually improving the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation.
- Write at varying length, for different purposes and audiences, using the variety of grammatical structures that they have learnt.
- Discover and develop an appreciation of a range of writing in Spanish for various purposes
- Develop a love for communicating in a language other than English and a fascination with other cultures that will last throughout their lives
- Look beyond their own culture and language to appreciate other ways of life, customs and beliefs embedding our school values of tolerance, kindness, empathy and respect